Bicarbonate (HCO3-) is a positively charged ion that plays an important role in maintaining the acid-base balance in the human body.
Here are some of the health benefits of bicarbonate:
- Regulates pH: Bicarbonate helps regulate the pH of the body by neutralizing excess acid in the bloodstream, preventing the body from becoming too acidic. Respiratory health:
- Bicarbonate is produced in the pancreas and helps neutralize stomach acid that can back up into the esophagus and cause respiratory problems. Digestive health:
- Bicarbonate can neutralize stomach acid and protect the lining of the stomach, which can reduce the risk of ulcers and other digestive problems.
- Exercise performance: Bicarbonate supplementation has been shown to increase the time to exhaustion during high-intensity exercise, by reducing acid buildup in the muscles. Kidney function:
- Bicarbonate is important for kidney function as it helps regulate the balance of fluids and electrolytes in the body.
It's important to note that the use of bicarbonate supplements should be under the guidance of a healthcare professional, as overuse or improper use of bicarbonate can disrupt the body's natural acid-base balance and lead to other health problems.